Saturday 14 October 2017

My Favourite Film Openings

Wild Target Opening Sequence



Not only is this one of my all-time favourite films, it also happens to have one of my favourite and memorable opening sequences I have seen. The film 'Wild Target' is about a professional hitman who tries to retire, however, a beautiful thief may change his mind. This film is exciting and gripping the whole way through, and always has me on my seat however many times I watch it. I would class it as a crime as well as action thriller as it is very much based on crime committing, however, it definitely has the perfect balance of action within it. I love the opening scene cause from the second it starts, the viewer already has questions about who the character seen is. The fact that he is simply walking along reciting French phrases, however when he walks into a building a man falls from the sky to the pavement through the shot, is almost a mini-plot twist in the first scene. It very much has us questioning who he is and why he walked so casually out of the building after this occurrence.


Jaws Opening Sequence


I have always absolutely loved this classic and legendary opening sequence and I think everyone who has seen this film agrees that it is a work of pure genius. Even if it is a little dated, it can definitely be considered an 'oldie but a goodie'. If there was one thing that really makes this film, it is undoubtedly the music, composed by John Williams. Williams' score for Jaws is one of the most recognizable pieces of music in the entire world, out-shining all other thrillers of the time and even now, in terms of tension. Just a few seconds of the iconic "duun-dun, dun-dun, duun-duun, dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun" is enough to stoke fear into the hearts of beachgoers forever more. Who knew two little notes could be so terrifying?

No comments:

Post a Comment